Monday, April 21, 2008

To Mutt or Not to Mutt

I drove by Home Depot on Saturday and saw the cutest puppies. We are thinking about getting another dog in the near future (yes, we are crazy) and are starting to "shop around". I picked up Trace and Kaitlyn at home and headed back that direction. I insisted on stopping to look at the pups. (We had to stop in HD to buy the bee spray anyway!) They were loading up the puppies, but left a little girl our for our enjoyment. These puppies were huge!!! I mean HUGE!!!! Their paws were almost as big as our Puff's head! Trace asked what they were. We were informed they are "blastiff", blood hound and mastiff. That right there was our queue to exit stage right. According to the very nice lady, the dad weighs 180 lbs and the mom weights 100 lbs! She informed us these are hybrid dogs.

My question is, what happened to the good ole' days of just mutts? I can only remember ever having one pure bred dog growing up. The rest were just run of the mill mutts. Don't get me wrong, we had awesome dogs. They just didn't have to be pure to be awesome.

After our date night (more on that later) and as we were lying in bed we started talking about these special "hybrid". We heard of labradoodle - lab and poodle, labradinger - lab and springer spaniel, cockapoo - cocker spaniel and poodle, borderjack - border collie and jack russell terrier, etc. So we decided to make up some of our own, using our doxie of course! Here you go:

doxer - doxen and boxer
dorev- doxen and retriever
doxtiff - doxen and mastiff

and Trace's input (drum roll please)

coxen - cocker and doxen

Obviously, I mean no offense to the dog breeders and lovers of these hybrid dogs. But, I would think they need to admit some of these name are quite hilarious. Especially after a long day, laying in bed, talking nonsense, leading to you and your spouse collapsing in giggle fits!

1 comments:

Vanessa said...

I want a dog so bad!!! We are probably going to get one if we end up with a yard :)